NEED TO KNOW
- Seven-month-old Emmanuel Haro was reported missing on Aug. 14, by his mother, who claimed she was attacked while changing his diaper
- A little over one week later, authorities announced that the child’s parents had been arrested on murder charges
- The search for the infant remains active
One week after Emmanuel Haro was reported missing by his mom, authorities claimed that he was never kidnapped.
On the evening of Thursday, Aug. 14, police responded to reports about a missing 7-month-old boy, Emmanuel. The San Bernardino County Sheriff shared an update on X on Aug. 15, writing, “Investigators from our Specialized Investigations Division are continuing to investigate the reported kidnapping of a seven-month-old, after the child’s mother reported being attacked outside a retail store on Yucaipa Boulevard last night.”
In the week to follow, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department (SBCSD) investigated Emmanuel’s kidnapping — and found “inconsistencies” in Rebecca’s accounts.
Over the following days, detectives interviewed witnesses, executed search warrants and reviewed digital evidence — leading them to conclude the kidnapping had never happened. On Aug. 22, the SBCSD announced that Emmanuel’s parents, Rebecca and Jake, had been arrested on murder charges.
Another update came on Aug. 26, when Rebecca and Jake were charged with first-degree murder, along with a misdemeanor charge of making a false police report.
So, what happened to Emmanuel Haro? Here’s everything to know about the missing baby whose parents were charged with murder after alleging he was kidnapped.
Emmanuel’s mom said she was attacked outside a store while he was kidnapped
Emmanuel’s mom, Rebecca, claimed to police that her son was kidnapped as she was attacked outside of a store.
According to KTLA, she had visited a local park for her son’s football practice with her husband and their two other children before driving to a Big 5 Sporting Goods store on Yucaipa Boulevard to pick up a mouthguard. She said that when she went to change Emmanuel’s diaper in her car, someone “snatched” him from the vehicle and attacked her.
“I was going to get the diaper and somebody said, ‘Hola,’ and I don’t remember anything since,” Rebecca, who appeared to have a black eye, told the outlet. “I woke up here on the floor and I didn’t see Emmanuel.” She alleged that someone “snatched” her son out of her vehicle.
Rebecca claimed that she “checked all around” her truck for Emmanuel before running into the store and calling 911.
Police noted that no surveillance footage was available from the area and that an Amber Alert could not be issued because there was no description of a suspect or vehicle, per KTLA.
Police found inconsistencies in statements from Emmanuel’s mother
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(814x441:816x443)/rebecca-haro-082525-108c3f8bf3c446c6928fb33487df1624.jpg)
On Aug. 16, the SBCSD shared that they had found “inconsistencies” in Rebecca’s statements.
“Investigators interviewed multiple individuals, including Emmanuel’s parents Jake and Rebecca Haro,” the SBCSD said in a news release. “During those interviews, Rebecca was confronted with inconsistencies in her initial statement and declined to continue with the interview.”
At that point, investigators said they were not ruling out “foul play” in the child’s disappearance.
Both parents were arrested on murder charges
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(745x207:747x209)/haro-arrest-082225-df8fc9cf9b2a4cac9973942f3229ca19.jpg)
On Aug. 22, the SBCSD announced that Rebecca and Jake had been arrested at their home on murder charges.
They confirmed that both had been booked in a Riverside County jail without bail. No other arrests have been made, and no other suspects have been named.
On Aug. 26, the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office announced that Rebecca and Jake have both been charged with first-degree murder and making a false police report. According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, they are being held on a $1 million bail.
Authorities are still searching for Emmanuel
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(742x438:744x440)/emmanuel-haro-supporters-082525-4f47ca4517914427925ac5c046143a8a.jpg)
In their Aug. 22 update, the SBCSD shared that they “believed Emmanuel is deceased,” though they noted the “search to recover his remains is ongoing.”
They went on to say that while Rebecca and Jake’s arrests “mark a significant development,” their focus remains on finding Emmanuel.
“The circumstances surrounding this investigation are tragic and we will continue to search for Emmanuel,” Sheriff Shannon Dicus said. “I trust our justice system will hold the parents accountable.”
Emmanuel’s father was previously convicted of child cruelty
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(699x211:701x213)/haro-arrest-1-082225-32317987d89747de897f1e9c33aa6ab3.jpg)
As the investigation into Emmanuel’s disappearance unfolded, one of his father’s past convictions resurfaced. According to The Orange County Register, court records show that Jake was previously convicted of child cruelty.
The conviction stemmed from injuries sustained in 2018 by Jake’s then 10-week-old daughter, whom he shares with his ex-wife Vanessa Avina. Per the outlet, both pleaded guilty to the charge in 2023.
Authorities are asking anyone with information related to Emmanuel’s case to call the Homicide Detail at 909-890-4904. Callers wishing to remain anonymous should contact We-Tip at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or go to http://wetip.com.
Authorities believe Emmanuel experienced a lifetime of “severe abuse” before his death
During a press conference on Aug. 27, Riverside District Attorney Michael Hestrin stated that he believes Emmanuel was a “victim of child abuse.”
“The filing in this case reflects our belief that baby Emmanuel was abused, a victim of child abuse over time and that eventually because of that abuse, he succumbed to those injuries,” Hestrin said.
Hestrin also said that authorities believe they have an idea of where Emmanuel’s remains are located.
If you suspect child abuse, call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-Child or 1-800-422-4453, or go to www.childhelp.org. All calls are toll-free and confidential. The hotline is available 24/7 in more than 170 languages.
Read the full article here