NEED TO KNOW
- At least four people have died after gunfire erupted at a banquet hall in Stockton, Calif., on Saturday, Nov. 29
- Vice Mayor Jason Lee said a child’s birthday party was taking place at the time of the mass shooting
- The incident appears to have been a “targeted shooting,” according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office
At least four people were killed and 10 others injured after gunfire erupted during a child’s birthday party at a banquet hall in California.
At around 6 p.m. local time on Saturday, Nov. 29, the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office (SJCSO) received reports that approximately 14 people had been shot on Lucile Avenue in Stockton, according to the SJCSO’s news release shared on Facebook.
“Four victims have been confirmed deceased,” said the SJCSO. “This is a very active and ongoing investigation, and information remains limited. Early indications suggest this may be a targeted incident, and investigators are exploring all possibilities.”
Several wounded victims were transported to local hospitals.
The shooting occurred in a banquet hall “where a family was celebrating,” SJCSO spokesperson Heather Brent said at a press conference, per ABC10.
The gunshot victims’ ages range from juvenile to adult. Their identities have not yet been released to the public.
“Our number one priority right now is identifying the suspect in this incident,” said Brent.
A motive for the shooting has not been disclosed at this time.
Related Stories
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Willies-Bar-and-Grill-St-Helena-South-Carolina-101225-tout-aa64f752fa13471e80524abfebe2ba5d.jpg)
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Police-car-101125-daf0b947c6f242bc956a675d17e9027d.jpg)
The SJCSO is leading the investigation with assistance from the Manteca Police Department, Stockton Police Department, District Attorney’s office and the FBI.
“Detectives are actively working to determine the circumstances leading up to this tragedy. Our thoughts are with the victims, their families, and everyone impacted by this senseless violence,” said the SJCSO in their news release. “We are urging anyone with information, video footage, or who may have witnessed any part of this incident to contact the SJCSO immediately.”
Stockton Mayor Christina Fugazi said in a statement posted on Instagram, “As Mayor, I am ensuring every necessary resource is available and that our city supports this effort at every level. Right now, our focus must remain on the victims, their families, and the safety of the community.”
“Please keep the victims, their loved ones, and our first responders in your prayers,” added Fugazi.
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.
Vice Mayor Jason Lee said in a statement shared on Facebook, “A birthday party should never be a place where families fear for their lives. Violence touched my life as a young person, and seeing our own children, parents, and neighbors go through this shakes me deeply.
“Stockton is my home. These are our families. This is our community,” he continued, adding that he “will be pushing for answers.”
“Tonight, I’m sending my thoughts, prayers, and love to the families who are hurting, to the children who witnessed this trauma, and to everyone across our city who feels this pain,” Lee concluded. “Please God, uplift our community. We don’t deserve this. And we will not accept this as our norm.”
PEOPLE has reached out to the SJCSO for comment.
Read the full article here


:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(897x521:899x523)/Stockton-California-shooting-113025-03-bdb4e8ba5603434996bd540c269faed6.jpg)