NEED TO KNOW
- Officials now say 18 people were injured in Wednesday’s shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis
- 2 children were also killed the shooting
- The shooter, 23, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the scene, according to police
Minneapolis city officials now say 18 people were injured in Wednesday’s mass school shooting, identifying another child who was wounded as gunfire erupted while students were gathered in the church for a Mass service.
Local Fox 9 first reported the news Thursday, Aug. 28, one day after 2 young children were killed and 18 others were injured in the mass shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis.
Authorities announced a day prior that 14 of the surviving victims who were taken to a local hospital were children between the ages of 6 and 15 years old, PEOPLE previously reported. Some were in critical condition as of Wednesday night, though ABC News has since reported that all 14 of the hospitalized children are expected to survive.
The other three victims were church-goers in their 80s, according to local KTSP.
Authorities said the shooter was 23-year-old Robin Westman, whose mother used to work at the school. Westman opened fire on the students shortly before 8:30 a.m. local time while classes were gathered for a church service before the second day of the school year. Authorities said Westman initially shot through church windows from the outside as the children were gathered for prayer.
Police said Westman, who allegedly had written a manifesto, died from a self-inflicted gunshot in the school parking lot.
Related Stories
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Minneapolis-Mayor-Jacob-Frey-02-082725-1e809bbb76e04e809ac0a4396eb39eea.jpg)
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey addressed the media at a press conference, calling the shooting “unspeakable.”
“No words that can capture the horror of this unspeakable act,” Frey said. “Children are dead.”
“Do not think of these as just somebody else’s kids, think of this as if it were your own,” the mayor continued. “Every one of us needs to be wrapping our arms around these families, giving them every ounce we can muster. These were Minneapolis families, these were American families.”
School officials mourned the victims while also praising teachers and fellow students for protecting each other during the mass shooting.
“Our teachers were heroes,” said principal Matthew DeBoer at a press conference later Wednesday. “Children were ducked down, adults were protecting children, older children were protecting younger children, and as we heard earlier, it could have been significantly worse without their heroic action.”
However, DeBoer added: “We lost two angels today.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(748x247:750x249)/Minneapolis-Mayor-Jacob-Frey-02-082725-1e809bbb76e04e809ac0a4396eb39eea.jpg)
A shaken and frustrated Mayor Frey also mourned the victims while calling for stricter gun laws, saying Wednesday that “you cannot put into words the gravity, tragedy, or pain of this situation.”
“Don’t just say it’s about thoughts and prayers, these kids were literally praying,” Frey told reporters. “These are kids who should be learning with their friends, they should be playing on the playground, they should be able to go to school or church in peace.”
Read the full article here