Close Menu
Tactical AmericansTactical Americans
  • Home
  • Guns
  • Knives
  • Gear
  • News
  • Videos
  • Community

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tactical, firearms and many more news and updates directly to your inbox.

What's Hot

Ex-Michigan coach scores legal win in criminal case

Feb 18, 2026 11:38 pm

Insurance execs sentenced in $230M Obamacare fraud scheme

Feb 18, 2026 10:37 pm

Sex offender released 4 days before random Daytona Beach teen neck slashing

Feb 18, 2026 9:35 pm
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Thursday, February 19, 2026 12:32 am EST
Trending
  • Ex-Michigan coach scores legal win in criminal case
  • Insurance execs sentenced in $230M Obamacare fraud scheme
  • Sex offender released 4 days before random Daytona Beach teen neck slashing
  • ISIS detainees: US moves 6,000 from Syria to Iraq amid security concerns
  • Fort Benning Integrates Virtual Drone Training into OSUT Program of Instruction
  • Pairing Your Suppressor With The Right Subsonic Ammo
  • Illegal immigrant accused of shooting Charleston, SC deputy
  • ATF Gun Registry Database Tops 1 Billion Records
  • Privacy
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest VKontakte
Tactical AmericansTactical Americans
  • Home
  • Guns
  • Knives
  • Gear
  • News
  • Videos
  • Community
Newsletter
Tactical AmericansTactical Americans
Home » ISIS detainees: US moves 6,000 from Syria to Iraq amid security concerns
News

ISIS detainees: US moves 6,000 from Syria to Iraq amid security concerns

Jack BogartBy Jack BogartFeb 18, 2026 9:32 pm0 ViewsNo Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
ISIS detainees: US moves 6,000 from Syria to Iraq amid security concerns
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

EXCLUSIVE: This was the kind of prison break officials say could have changed the region, and perhaps even the world, overnight.

Nearly 6,000 ISIS detainees, described by a senior U.S. intelligence official as “the worst of the worst,” were being held in northern Syria as clashes and instability threatened the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, the guards responsible for keeping the militants locked away and preventing a feared ISIS resurgence. U.S. officials believed that if the prisons collapsed in the chaos, the consequences would be immediate.

“If these 6,000 or so got out and returned to the battlefield, that would basically be the instant reconstitution of ISIS,” the senior intelligence official told Fox News Digital.

In an exclusive interview, the official walked Fox News Digital step by step through the behind-the-scenes operation that moved thousands of ISIS detainees out of Syria and into Iraqi custody, describing a multi-agency scramble that unfolded over weeks, with intelligence warnings, rapid diplomacy and a swift military lift.

US MILITARY LAUNCHES AIRSTRIKES AGAINST ISIS TARGETS IN SYRIA, OFFICIALS SAY

The risk, the official explained, had been building for months. In late October, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard began to assess that Syria’s transition could tip into disorder and create the conditions for a catastrophic jailbreak.

The ODNI sent the official to Syria and Iraq at that time to begin early discussions with both the SDF and the Iraqi government about how to remove what the official repeatedly described as the most dangerous detainees before events overtook them.

Those fears sharpened in early January as fighting erupted in Aleppo and began spreading eastward. Time was running out to prevent catastrophe. “We saw this severe crisis situation,” the official said.

U.S. ANNOUNCES MORE MILITARY ACTIONS AGAINST ISIS: ‘WE WILL NOT RELENT’

ISIS militant, Syria, U.S. military

According to the source, the ODNI oversaw daily coordination calls across agencies as the situation escalated. The official said Secretary of State Marco Rubio was “managing the day to day” on policy considerations, while the ODNI drove a working group that kept CENTCOM, diplomats and intelligence officials aligned on the urgent question: how to keep nearly 6,000 ISIS fighters from slipping into the fog of war.

The Iraqi government, the official said, understood the stakes. Baghdad had its own reasons to move quickly, fearing that if thousands of detainees escaped, they would spill across the border and revive a threat Iraq still remembers in visceral terms.

The official described Iraq’s motivation bluntly: leaders recognized that a massive breakout could force Iraq back into a “2014 ISIS is on our border situation once more.”

The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, the official said, played a pivotal role in smoothing the diplomatic runway for what would become a major logistical undertaking.

Then came the physical lift. The official credited CENTCOM’s surge of resources to make the plan real on the ground, saying that “moving in helicopters” and other assets enabled detainees to be removed in a compressed timeframe.

“Thanks to the efforts… moving in helicopters, moving in more resources, and then just logistically making this happen, we were able to get these nearly 6000 out in the course of just a few weeks,” the official said.

ISIS FIGHTERS STILL AT LARGE AFTER SYRIAN PRISON BREAK, CONTRIBUTING TO VOLATILE SECURITY SITUATION

A wide encampment of tents shelters displaced families in a remote area.

The SDF, he said, had been securing the prisons, but its attention was strained by fighting elsewhere, fueling U.S. fears that a single breach could spiral into a mass escape. Ultimately, detainees were transported into Iraq, where they are now held at a facility near Baghdad International Airport under Iraqi authority.

The next phase, the official said, is focused on identification and accountability. FBI teams are in Iraq enrolling detainees biometrically, the official said, while U.S. and Iraqi officials examine what intelligence can be declassified and used in prosecutions.

“What they were asking us for, basically, is giving them as much intelligence and information that we have on these individuals,” the official said. “So right now, the priority is on biometrically identifying these individuals.”

The official said the State Department is also pushing countries of origin to take responsibility for their citizens held among the detainees.

“State Department is doing outreach right now and encouraging all these different countries to come and pick up their fighters,” he said.

While the transfer focused strictly on ISIS fighters, the senior intelligence official said families held in camps such as al-Hol were not part of the operation, leaving a major unresolved security and humanitarian challenge.

ISIS EXPLOITING SYRIA’S CHAOS AS US STRIKES EXPOSE GROWING THREAT

Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters pose for a photo with the American flag on stage after a SDF victory ceremony announcing the defeat of ISIL in Baghouz was held at Omer Oil Field on March 23, 2019 in Baghouz, Syria. 

The camps themselves were under separate arrangements, the official said, and responsibility shifted as control on the ground evolved. 

According to the official, the Syrian Democratic Forces and the Syrian government reached an understanding that Damascus would take over the al-Hol camp, which holds thousands of ISIS-affiliated women and children.

“As you can see from social media, the al-Hol camp is pretty much being emptied out,” the official said, adding that it “appears the Syrian government has decided to let them go free,” a scenario the official described as deeply troubling for regional security. “That is very concerning.”

The fate of the families has long been viewed by counterterrorism officials as one of the most complicated, unresolved elements of the ISIS detention system. Many of the children have grown up in camps after ISIS lost territorial control, and some are now approaching fighting age, raising fears about future radicalization and recruitment.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Iraqi security forces pose with ISIS flag which they pulled from University of Anbar on July 26, 2015. Forces clashed with ISIS militants inside the compound.

For now, the official said, intelligence agencies are closely tracking developments after a rapid operation that, in their view, prevented thousands of experienced ISIS militants from reentering the battlefield at once and potentially reigniting the group’s fighting force. 

“This is a rare good news story coming out of Syria,” the official concluded.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Ex-Michigan coach scores legal win in criminal case

Insurance execs sentenced in $230M Obamacare fraud scheme

Sex offender released 4 days before random Daytona Beach teen neck slashing

Pairing Your Suppressor With The Right Subsonic Ammo

Illegal immigrant accused of shooting Charleston, SC deputy

ATF Gun Registry Database Tops 1 Billion Records

Kidnappers posing as police officers target victims in Haiti capital

US preparing to withdraw 1,000 troops from Syria under President Trump

Millionaire philanthropist Robert Fuller Jr. shot dead in D.C. suburb

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Insurance execs sentenced in $230M Obamacare fraud scheme

Feb 18, 2026 10:37 pm

Sex offender released 4 days before random Daytona Beach teen neck slashing

Feb 18, 2026 9:35 pm

ISIS detainees: US moves 6,000 from Syria to Iraq amid security concerns

Feb 18, 2026 9:32 pm

Fort Benning Integrates Virtual Drone Training into OSUT Program of Instruction

Feb 18, 2026 8:41 pm

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tactical, firearms and many more news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Pairing Your Suppressor With The Right Subsonic Ammo

By Jack Bogart

Illegal immigrant accused of shooting Charleston, SC deputy

By Jack Bogart

ATF Gun Registry Database Tops 1 Billion Records

By Jack Bogart
Tactical Americans
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Press Release
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Copyright © 2026 Tactical Americans. Created by Sawah Solutions.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.